Monday, May 18, 2009

Thanks for the Memories, Greg?

One thing I always appreciated about the Cubs growing up was that, as an organization, they didn't shove their history down your throat. Sure, I knew about the billy goat, the sign in right field, and every year an uninspired sportswriter or two would brush off an article about curses and whatnot, but I feel like the Cubs themselves mainly focused on who was on the field.

I think one of the places where I appreciated this the most was in the fact that a 100-year old organization had only retired 2 numbers. I remember asking my dad about Ernie Banks and Billy Williams when I was young, thinking they must have been pretty special players if they were the only ones deemed worthy to have their numbers hanging from the foul poles. I also remember being confused when the Cubs were on the road and I saw other teams with upwards of a dozen numbers retired. I was kind of happy that the teams I root for (the Bulls as well, who only had 2 at the time,) were the kind of teams that don't retire numbers willy-nilly (coughMiamiHeatcough)

I was happy both times when Ron Santo and Ryne Sandberg joined them. I'm completely fine with Santo getting bonus points for his work in the booth. Both players had great careers that will forever be associated with Chicago Cubs baseball.

Which is where I have a problem with Maddux. I get that both Maddux and Fergie wore 31, which was at least part of the impetus for retiring their number at the same time. I was a little skeptical at first that 4 players from a team that pulled off one of the most notable collapses of all time needed their numbers retired (I know Ernie was on the very downside of his career then, but still.) But after checking Fergie's baseball reference page, I have to admit he has some stats that jump out at you, like a consistent ERA+ over 120 and a few years leading the league in BB/9 and WHIP.

But then you look at Maddux's page. Fergie's best year was below average for Maddux. Greg has back-to-back ERA+ years of 271 and 262! He led the majors in BB/9 pretty much every year in the 90s. You could make the argument that Greg Maddux is the best player to ever put on a Cubs uniform.

So why am I against his number being retired? 5 years from now Maddux is going into the hall of fame. It should be unanimous, or at least any writer who leaves him off should have his or her voting rights examined. But he's going in with an A on his cap, not a C. Maddux gave his best years to the Atlanta Braves because the Cubs were too stingy to pay him what he deserved (in fact, probably less than he deserved, considering his salaries in those mid-90s years were in the 6 million range.) You can't go back now and pretend those years didn't happen. Greg started just as many playoff games against the Cubs (1) as he did for them. I know Fergie pitched for other teams, too, but he will be remembered as a Cub, and for good reason. While we love Maddux, let's face it: he's a Brave.

Fergie- 167 wins as a Cub
117- other teams

Greg- 133 as a Cub
222- other teams (mostly Atlanta) (PS- did you know he was at 16 wins in 94 when the season was shut down?)

It's not quite the Heat retiring friggin Dan Marino's number, but it still didn't sit well with me.

Future posts:
1. Rick Telander, Ryan Theriot, and steroids
2. If you could go back to the last regular season Bulls game against Toronto and have them win, setting up a series with Orlando, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment