Sunday, May 3, 2009

A More Official Introduction

Hi.

Time to stop giving out sneak-previews and deem this blog open for business. I'll start with our background information, then move on to our goals/manifesto:

We love the Bears and Bulls. Most of us love the Cubs, some the White Sox (It's a 3 to 1 ratio so far, but I'm trying to even that out a little.) A decade or so of mismanagement means that, unless I'm mistaken, none of us have more than a mild attraction for the Blackhawks, although it's been increasing as of late. But more importantly, we love talking about sports. And one day it occurred to me that if morons like Skip Bayless and Jay Mariotti are allowed to spout their half-assed opinions to the masses, why can't we get in on the action? Even if that action is just a long string of curse words directed at BG, or Kevin Gregg, or Jay Cutler (if he underperforms.) We'll try to keep it more intelligent than that, but sometimes you just gotta vent.

The inspiration for this site is more along the lines of a FreeDarko or FJM than the more informational blogs you'll find out there. None of us are quitting our day job or dropping out of college to pursue full-time blogging. The reason I never got around to expressing my 2 thoughts on Game 6 is because I didn't have 10 minutes to sit in front of the computer and put those thoughts down until now (I'll put that post up in a few minutes.) However, hopefully between the 4 (and growing) of us, we'll be able to keep you, most likely our friends and family, up to date on whatever Chicago-sports-related thoughts pop into our heads. And maybe one day someone with absolutely no connection to any of us will stumble in here by accident and be mildly amused enough to bookmark us.

As for me personally, I'm a middle-school math teacher on the South Side of the city. I don't remember a moment of not following the Cubs, Bears, and Bulls, even during the down years. Consider this my apology for not knowing more about hockey, but I think part of my love for those other three sports is the fact that I grew up playing them, and still do regularly (well, softball at least. Is there a way to play in an adult rec baseball league? I need to look into that.) So, back to my original point, From September-May I won't have a whole ton of time to write. Over the summer, however, I may have nothing else to do but ramble (kind of like I am now.)

I'll let the other bloggers introduce themselves at their convenience.

The goal of this site is to be a place where you can go to read a reasonable debate about the important debates/events/games in Chicago, and maybe add your own 2 cents as well. We won't limit it strictly to Chicago, but since that's what most of us live and die with, I'm guessing that's mostly where our focus will be. While we're not designed to be a news site, but I would like to have recurring features that you can count on seeing regularly (the moron one and the blame game are 2, but there are more I'll introduce as we roll them out.)

We also might talk about old-school hip-hop. Or comic book movies. Whatever. This is a labor of love, after all.

PS- How does the spell-check feature for blogspot.com not recognize the word "bloggers?"

Edit- Just fixed a typo my intelligent (and beautiful) wife pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment