Thursday, June 30, 2011

Credit Where Credit is Due- Cubs/Giants Game 4

This is the first time I've done a credit post for baseball. It's kind of cheap, since baseball is a sport where the exact amount of credit can be assigned at the end of the game scientifically. I know you can theoretically do it for basketball, too, but I've touched on before the differences between the two sports statistically. Anyways, I'm going to try to give out credit on my own before looking at the WPA (win probability added) for each player.

Marcus Mateo- 35%
You might think about going right to Geo, but I know I said to my friend when Mateo came in, "here comes 4 or 5 runs". I did not expect 5 strong innings of 2-hit ball (both the inning he came in) with 6 strikeouts. Nice to be pleasantly surprised by the bullpen for once.

Geo- 25%
Every time a pinch-hitter came up I said "Where's Geo?" Quade chose to hit with Reed Johnson, Lou Montanez, and Jeff Baker before Geo in situations where the game could have potentially been over with one swing (and that's why Quade will not be receiving any credit here.)

The rest of the bullpen- 20%
Marshall, Samardzija, Russell, and Marmol stepped up big, too. Which is extra important when your starting pitcher can't last an 2 innings.

Aramis- 15%
Aramis is batting .360 with 5 home runs in his last 10 games. If he can stay this hot for awhile, maybe we can win more than 2 games in a row.

Darwin Barney- 5%
Huge clutch hit to keep it alive for Soto. 2-6 isn't bad in your 2nd game back.

No Credit-
Quade- Why save your only power hitter left on the bench until last when 1 swing can end the game? Oh, because you are a moron.

Big Z- I wonder if "back spasms" is code for "I hurt my pride on my (shoulda been) 2 error play.

Carlos Pena- Carlos has been great lately, but 0-5 will land you here.

2 comments: