Thursday, March 15, 2012

Second Round Draft Justifications

I guess people want their picks being made fun of. Be warned, this is only going to get worse as the picks become bigger reaches. We're going in the order the picks were made, so reverse of last time. (Full results here.)

Tristan- Gale Sayers
Again going out of the "players I got to watch personally" realm, but I read a biography of Gale Sayers back when all I used to read was sports biographies, so I feel like this once counts. Sayers might have had a short career because of injuries (specifically one horrific one I never ever want to think about), but he was first team all pro every season he played more than 2 games. I wish I had seen him in person, but I'll settle for one of the best Bears ever in the 2nd round.

Katz- Mark Buehrle
A modern day White Sox legend where he played his entire career until now and pitched at least 200 innings, won at least 10 games in every season as a starter and made a White Sox record 9 Opening Day starts. In the 2005 World Series he started Game 2 and closed Game 3 to go along with his complete game in the ALCS and is a World Series Champion. Basically, the guy was a guaranteed horse which is always what any contending team needs. He also has 3 Gold Gloves, the most interleague-play wins of all-time, holds the MLB record for most batters retired in a row at 45, a no-hitter where he still only faced 27 batters and a perfect game.

Ethan- Dennis Rodman

Need I say more?

Sam- Jonathan Toews
If part of my taking Bobby Hull in the first round was to get Conall's goat a bit, then my pick of Jonathan Toews was an even more intentional move to make him squirm. Let's get it straight, Toews is the face of the current Blackhawks franchise. His restrained personality and solid work ethic makes him the quintessential Chicago guy, especially when compared with his much more gregarious teammate, Patrick Kane. Kane is the cocky young guy, Toews is the slightly older brother who let's his game speak for itself. Much like D. Rose, he quietly manages his team. He has helped redefine a franchise that was essentially lost to its own audience. He brought a Stanley Cup Championship to the city of Chicago as well as a playoff MVP title. He is one of the youngest captains ever in the NHL, and in my book he gets bonus points for having only ever worn a Hawks jersey.

BJ- Dick Butkus
I wanted to go old school Bears next and legitimately thought about Red Grange here (or Bronco Nagurski who I also regret not picking). But I always like Butkus' NFL films interviews, he is the "founder" of the modern Bears line of middle linebackers, and I do count Singletary's failures as a coach against him (not much but come on). Butkus is also a solid representative of the ultra-competitive, nasty-streak, enforcer-types that Chicagoans have always loved.

Conall- Mike Ditka
Conall sent me his late, so I'll put it up anyway, but leave in my analysis of Ditka's ridiculous right-wing political ideology.
Ditka is a personified landmark in Chicago sports history. An anchor for our cockiness. A swerve to our swag. A pop culture figure of the Windy City. Because of him and with a little help from Saturday Night Live, we have an iconic sports personality and that's shaped our fanaticism and is as popular as the city itself. He expands beyond the incredible team he lead to multiple NFL records and a championship. We wouldn't be saying "DA BEARS" if it wasn't for him. We wouldn't be saying "DA..." anything if it wasn't for him. He is Chicago's Chuck Norris, except he has one thing Chuck doesn't....a mutha-fucking ring.
Hurricane Ditka my ass, this man supported Alan Keyes over Barack Obama for senator. He's cray. A quick search for "Mike Ditka Politics" returns this great headline about Ditka campaigning with Sarah Palin (which I completely forgot about). I was deathly terrified of a "Mike Ditka Santorum" search, but luckily it didn't return anything.
Also, Ditka also likes wedding dress pictures:


Ron- Ron Santo
Ron is lucky he took players I can say nothing bad about. He'd be wise to change that before we get to Lou Brock, however.

Gomez- Phil Jackson
It hurts to say bad things about Phil Jackson, who I have very fond memories of, but the man did leave his wife for his boss' daughter, who is 24 years younger than him. I realize that earns him points in some of your books, but you people are disgusting.

Will- Frank Thomas
It took him getting injured and out of the lineup for the White Sox to win the world series. Coincidence? I think not. Also, he was probably on steroids like everyone else in that era.

Tomorrow: Round 3 (there are some questionable characters picked in round 3, so hopefully everyone is still lazy about writing their justifications)

No comments:

Post a Comment