Tuesday, December 27, 2011

(Almost) Preseason NBA Predictions

I find it fun to both make predictions and make fun of other people's predictions, so that's what we're going to do today. ESPN likes to have their experts (and Chris Broussard) make predictions on the end of season awards, so I'm going to add my predictions to the mix, as well as take the worst prediction from each section and break it down.

MVP

My pick: LeBron James

It's so hard to repeat as MVP, and Derrick is going to suffer from the curse of high expectations this year. I expect the Heat to hum along during the regular season this year, and LeBron to put up pretty gaudy numbers. And he can have that, I'll still take Derrick in the playoffs.

Worst pick: Chris Paul

No one really went out on a limb here, and Chris Paul could very well win the MVP if the Clippers turn the corner and get one of the top 4 seeds in the west, and voters credit the move for CP3 as the reason. But I think if it happens, it will be more because Blake Griffin becomes one of the top 5 big men in the NBA, not because of Paul.

Rookie of the Year

My pick: Derrick Williams

I think the Timberwolves are going to overachieve, and I think Williams will be a big reason why. Kyrie Irving will put up similar numbers, but it's just because there are no other options in Cleveland.

Worst pick: Jimmer Fredette

I like Jimmer. I think he's going to be a good NBA player. But it's going to take a little time before he's averaging more than 15 ppg (unless everything falls apart in Sacramento and he has to be the whole offense.)

Coach of the Year

My pick: Frank Vogel

I think the Pacers are going to be good this year, and I think Vogel is going to be a big reason why. The Pacers last year played better than the sum of their parts, and now those parts are better. (I can't pick TT for the same reason I can't pick Derrick, the Bulls are supposed to be the top team in the East now.)

Worst pick: Vinny Del Negro

Broussard shows he's never actually seen an NBA game (or at least one VDN has coached.) Just wait until the first close Clippers game, when the final play is just CP3 dribbling around while Blake and Caron Butler stand around watching. If the Clippers don't improve, my prediction is it'll be because they've completely tuned VDN out.

Defensive POY

My pick: Tyson Chandler

It's too easy to pick Dwight Howard, I'm going with Chandler because I think New York will be markedly improved defensively because Chandler is protecting the rim. He was exactly what the Knicks needed.

Worst pick: Tony Allen

Tony Allen doesn't lock down wings any better than Luol Deng does, he's just more self-aggrandizing about it. I hate Tony Allen.

Sixth Man


My pick: James Harden

Harden is going to thrive even more than before playing alongside Durant and Westbrook. I think he'll end up averaging 20 ppg this year.

Worst pick: Mo Williams

Chauncey Billups somehow led the Clippers in minutes on Christmas, despite the fact that MO WILLIAMS IS BETTER. This pick isn't because Williams isn't good, it's because VDN is too stupid to play Williams enough to get this award.

Most Improved

My pick: Eric Gordon

I realize I trashed Gordon on draft night a few years ago, but I admit I was wrong. Eric Gordon is going to come into his own this year being the main option in New Orleans.

Worst pick: Carlos Boozer

Ummm...Scoop Jackson? No.

Eastern Conference:
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. New York
4. Indiana
5. Boston
6. Atlanta
7. Orlando
8. Milwaukee
9. New Jersey
10. Philadelphia
11. Charlotte
12. Detroit
13. Washington
14. Cleveland
15. Toronto

Western Conference
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Memphis
4. Los Angeles Clippers
5. Dallas
6. Los Angeles Lakers
7. Portland
8. Golden State
9. Denver
10. New Orleans
11. Minnesota
12. Pheonix
13. Houston
14. Sacramento
15. Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment