Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sixth Round Draft Justifications

Sorry for the delay between rounds. Moving and whatnot. Here are the full results.

Tristan- Devin Hester
Not to toot my own horn, but I feel like Devin Hester is an interesting pick. There are certainly players picked later in the draft who contribute more to their teams every game than Hester, who only gets to affect the outcome of games on a small number of plays, sometimes detrimentally. But I can say there is nobody picked after Devin, and very few players picked before, that have provided Chicago with more jump-out-of-your-seat highlights than Hester has. And I don't know if there's anyone else that was picked past the third round who you could make the case is the best player ever at their position. I'm just going to end my Hester argument with this:

You should watch all 10 minutes of that. It's pretty fun.

Katz- BJ Armstrong
I'm pretty sure Katz picked the first person in the draft who was ever left unprotected in an expansion draft. Also, if Stacey gets points for being good on television, then we need to dock BJ points for that. He tried his hand in front of the camera, and it was ugly. I wish I could find a clip of it, but he was awkward and stilted, and didn't last long. He makes a much better agent (which I suppose we can give him points for, but it's not like being Derrick's agent is hard. "My client is awesome and wants to play for you forever. Please give him as much money as possible. Thanks.")

Ethan- Mike Brown
Immediately after typing his name, Mike Brown just went on the Chitown Sports Fantasy Draft Injured List.

Sam- Derrek Lee
The only way I can explain Derrek Lee falling to the 6th round is to attribute it to the lack of die-hard Cubs fans involved in the draft. True, he has never led the Cubs to a World Series (though he was part of the Marlins team that robbed the Cubs of a title chance in 2003), but he is a 3-time gold glover (twice with the Cubs) and also received a silver slugger for his 2005 season (the year he had an insane 28 RBIs the first month of the season). And let us not forget his incredible 2009 when he had an impressive 90 RBIs and led the team to the league's best record. The Cubs did massively fail to impress that post season, dropping three straight to the Dodgers, but Derrek came back the next year resilient, tallying 111 RBIs and batting a .306 average on the season. (Ok, ok...I know they didn't even make the playoffs that year, but really, the Cubs are heartbreaking every year ok? He's still a great player and one of my favorites to ever wear Cubby blue...) He should also be awarded a point or two for finally losing his cool and telling Big Z to shove it in what is remembered as the second dugout altercation of Zambrano's illustrious Cubs career. Derrek would also fit in like a gem with TT's hard work mentality.

Editor's note: My only regret from the entire draft was letting Derrek fall to Sam here. I should have picked him over Ron Harper.

BJ- Fergie Jenkins
What is there not to like about Fergie? Admittedly this pick was based somewhat on reputation, and it's a bit harder now to recall exactly what I was thinking during the draft; the man was a beast. Since I never saw him play, the only real exposure I had to him growing up was listening to Santo talk about him, which he never failed to do when the topic of the best pitchers of that era came up. But here are some stats to chew on: First Canadian Hall of Famer, >3000 K's and <1000 walks, from 1967-72 he had >20 CG every year(in 1971 when he outdueled Seaver for the Cy Young he went the distance in 30 of his 37 starts) and then after he had one down the Cubs traded him for Bill Madlock and he came back in 1974 to throw another 29 CG and win 25 games for the freaking Rangers. Argh ok let's move on I'm getting frustrated.

Conall- Billy Williams
For most of my childhood, I knew Billy Williams as "the other guy who's had his number retired besides Ernie Banks." He was pretty good, I guess, but he's nothing special. Every franchise has a few Billy Williamses. But I suppose we're in the rounds where those guys get drafted. Whatever, congratulations on a boring pick.

Ron- Carlton Fisk
Ron had a great first few rounds, but then spent the next few picks taking players best known for exploits for other cities. Fisk played 10 seasons for the Red Sox and 13 seasons for the White Sox, but went in to the Hall of Fame in a Red Sox hat. And if I told you to name one moment from Pudge's career, you're naming him waving a home run fair at Fenway Park. What White Sox memory do you have?

Gomez- Steve Kerr
Gomez shores up the all-important "players-punched-by-Michael-Jordan" position. Did Danny Ferry ever play for a Chicago team?

Will- Paul Konerko
If I had to rate the speed of every player taken so far, here would be the top 5:
1. Devin Hester
2. Lou Brock
3. Derrick Rose
4. Kenny Lofton
5. Walter Payton

And here would be the bottom 5:
50. Carlton Fisk
51. Joel Quennville
52. Tom Thibodeau
53. George Halas
54. Paul Konerko

But maybe I'm underrating TT a little bit. I bet he can run a decent wind sprint. Maybe replace him with Maddux. Konerko is still last, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment