Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Mc onal 's put the 'M' back in my morning."

"Mc onal 's put the 'M' back in my morning," sai uncan Keith. But for the Hawks #1 efenseman, an last year's Norris Trophy winner, something still seems to be missing.
"Missing? My skates finally feel great again, so I feel like I'm skating better. My sticks are the same sticks, and my helmet feels okay. I mean, I've got 12 points on the season so far. I on't know... o you guys think I'm playing up to the stan ar s of a efen ing Norris Trophy winner?"

Womp. After letting in a goal against Edmonton, and then blowing the puck out his rear end straight into 3 consecutive odd man rushes that lead to game-winning goals in 2 different games, I think it's safe to say Keith is not playing up to his Norris Trophy winning standards. In fact, fuck the standards. Right now Keith looks more like a balloon when you blow it up and then let it go without tying it, and it goes zipping around the room going "pbhppbbhhbpppbphhbpbp" until it plops down scraping the puck out of his own net. Sure his 12 points on the season are great until you factor in his -7 rating, hi-lighting the -4 in the last 2 games. The thing is, when you're a -2 in a game when the other team only scored 2 goals, you might be a factor.

The 2 goals in 35 seconds that Phoenix scored to take the lead and win can be placed right at Keith's doorstep. He not only coughed up the puck twice for 2 odd man rushes, but he left a couple nice piles of crap in place of himself on the other end of the ice for Nick Boynton and Marty Turco to lay in while the Yotes scored on them.

Wilferd, you asked what's going on, and questioned if it could be Turco. Turco's playing surprisingly well. Much better than I thought he would. He's actually-dare I say-been pretty great. But not only did our defense forget how to skate this year, but we lost some essential forwards that not only brought game, but brought ENERGY. We need our forwards now to step up their defense, pressure, and energy, and stop looking like they're here to be substitute teachers until the other forwards come back. And actually that goes for the guys that are still here from the last year. It's time to start playing hard-nosed hockey and stop looking like they're waiting for the other guys to come back.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the main component is defense and new guys. Chemistry seems to be lacking.

    Is Quenneville doing a fair amount of shuffling lines to see what combinations work best/how to better foster chemistry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tons of it. I don't know if I've seen the same line combinations twice this year, or even a full game where the lines didn't change. Hopefully he finds the right fit sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete