Friday, November 26, 2010

Umm....Tom?

What the hell is a guy we signed 10 hours ago doing in the game with 24 seconds left? I would have killed VDN for that, and I've been giving TT a little slack since I like a lot of what he's brought to the table (this whole "running plays" thing intrigues me, and I wish to learn more.) I haven't been entirely impressed by his rotations, however, and tonight he paid for it. I don't care if John Lucas is 100% for his career (he's not, he's 79%, albeit in a very small sample size of 15-19), I would much rather see players that are in the flow of the game, and more importantly, players that have been in the NBA for the last 3 years in a position to take clutch free throws. Ronnie Brewer is a 70% career FT shooter, Bogans is 72%. Either one I would feel much more comfortable with taking those throws. Lucas wasn't even close on either of those shots, it was clear he was nervous.

The sad part is that this completely overshadows what this post was supposed to be about, which is the emergence of CJ Watson. CJ played, basically, like a poor man's Derrick Rose, someone that the other team needs to respect to go to the hole at any time, but can also hit a pull up mid-range jump shot if you give him too much space. Obviously it helps playing 44 minutes instead of the usual 12-15, but if he can find a rhythm like that, then the Bulls just get deeper and deeper.

Anyways, that one hurts, but let's remember it was without Rose, Boozer, and mostly without Taj, and we were 2 free throws away from winning. This is a good thing, despite the outcome.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I was just finished last night's game, and was screaming at TT when he put Lucas in to throw the inbounds pass. WHAT? You said it all here Tristan, just a huge disappointment. This could have been an enormous win - no Boozer, no Rose, mostly no Gibson - and they could have ensured a plus .500 circus trip. This coach is supposed to help them win games, and on this night he lost it.

    I even watched some of the post-game interview to see if he would acknowledge his mistake, something that good coaches do, and too many (LOVIE) do not. He was upset, obviously and visibly, and instead of acknowledging it he just snapped at the reported about Lucas' career average. I don't care what his average was. Like Tristan (you took the words right out of my mouth) I would rather have ANYONE on the team at the line instead of the guy signed mere hours ago and asked to come in in an insanely pressure-packed moment and execute. Asik would have made one of two.

    It's not Lucas' fault, it's Thibideoauou's. AND Korver's, for not just holding on to the ball when that double team came, getting fouled, and going to the line as our best FT shooter.

    COME ON. This could have been huge.

    My hope is that this illuminates for the Bulls coaching staff an area where this team definitely needs to improve: 4th quarter free throw shooting. I'd like to re-institute a policy I suggested many times to VDN in my imaginary weekly meetings with him when I explained to him how to coach, manage his rotation, and not forget about players on the bench (Ty Thomas). For every free throw you miss in the 4th quarter, you owe me $1,000 in the Missed Free Throw Jar. Done. Most of the Bulls (Luol especially this season) need to practice their free throws.

    EU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to mention, but forgot to, the other big pet peeve of mine in the VDN era, which is running out of timeouts too early. That's why I don't blame Korver too much, he didn't have a timeout available in case he got in trouble. So far TT has shown a little trouble with timeout management, too.

    RE: Luol- I admit, there are 2 games I haven't been able to watch any of this year and those were Lu's two best games (Blazers and Warriors). I think Luol has fit better in the offense this year (although I still wish he would cut more instead of falling in love with his 20-footer) and has been pretty good defensively. I still want to see JJ getting more minutes going forward, though, I think James could be a poor man's Gerald Wallace with a little better decision making offensively.

    ReplyDelete