Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chitown-Sports NFL Pick Challenge Update 2

Well, my Super Bowl pick is shot, but that's obviously priority #8million right now. Bears! Packers! For the chance to go to the Super Bowl! And maybe play the Jets there! (But I'm getting ahead of myself.)

Current Standings, and next to it each person's Super Bowl pick (and potential remaining points. Everyone has 3 prp for the next three games, then it depends on your Super Bowl pick)

Will 5 Bears-Steelers (11 prp)
Julia 4 Patriots-Falcons (3 prp)
Asher 4 Pats-Bears (6 prp)
Katz 3 Bears-Colts (8 prp)
Neal 3 Patriots- Saints (3 prp)
Tristan 3 Patriots-Falcons (3 prp)
GDubbs 3 Patriots-Falcons (3 prp)
Sam 3 Colts-Bears (6 prp)
Graham 3 Patriots-Falcons (3 prp)
BJ 2 Patriots- Eagles (3 prp)
Louis 1 Patriots-Saints (3 prp, assuming he actually makes some picks this round)

Don't we all now wish we had more faith in the Bears? Good job, Will and Katz.

My Picks:

Bears over Packers

I mean, its not like I was going to be picking against the Bears anyway, but here are the reasons why I think the Bears stand a chance next Sunday (and not just because there's going to be some birthday magic coming my way.)
1. Cutler is looking good. He's been getting rid of the ball quickly, making good reads, pulling it down and running when the opportunity presents itself, and most importantly not forcing the ball into triple coverage. It looked like the one dumb pass this afternoon might have been Hester's fault, but other than that he couldn't have been better today.
2. The defense is working at 100%, and while our biggest defensive weakness (Tim Jennings) is exploitable, the Packers won't be running the ball anywhere and hopefully the Bears can afford to roll some coverage help his way.
3. The field conditions should work in the Bears favor. As long as Martz plays it smart and keeps the ball on the ground with Forte, the Bears should win field position battles all day (Hester will help with that as well.) Just don't try to make it a Cutler vs. Rodgers shootout, Martz. We can't win that.

Jets over Steelers

The story of the afternoon game will undoubtedly be "what happened to the Patriots," but give the Jets credit. They harassed Tom Brady all day, and he still has one of the best offensive lines in the league. The Steelers line? Not so much. Ben will be lucky to have any time at all. Of course, the reverse will be true as well, since the Steelers will get a lot more pressure on Sanchez than he faced today, but I think in a battle of defenses, I like the Jets a little more.

Remember to make your picks by the start of the Bears game Sunday (coughLouiscough)

6 comments:

  1. You know my picks:

    Bears over Packers, 27-24
    Steelers over Jets, 24-16

    I'm not just sticking with these picks because they are what I predicted at the outset. Well, I kind of am in the sense that, well, I still think they are the better teams in their respective conferences.

    Yes, the Jets showed us quite a lot yesterday, but the Pats defense is bad. I don't see their offense putting up 28 against the Steelers. And if they do, the Steelers are capable of keeping pace in a shootout.

    And the Bears. The chants of "Super Bears, Super Bowl" are loud enough to hear across the ocean. And I knew before I left for Italy in August that I would be missing a great Chicago sports year, so it will only be fitting for the Bears to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bears
    Jets

    Liveblog the Bulls-Grizzlies game? I start classes again tomorrow and want to avoid that as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bears over Packers
    Steelers over Jets

    Super Bears, Super Bowl

    ReplyDelete
  4. NFC: Packers over Bears. Unpopular opinion! But the Packers defense was even better than the Bears in the regular season and GB's offense is dynamite right now. The Bears defense is great, but that's mainly against the rush, and the Packers' strength clearly isn't there.

    AFC: Steelers over Jets. Argh. I think it'll be a close game though, and I hope I'm wrong here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In any situation, I hope the NFC representative wins the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jets over Steelers
    BEARS over Packers baby!!

    ReplyDelete