Friday, January 21, 2011

On the Price of Fandom

As I'm sure most of you reading this know, I get to go to a lot of Bears games thanks to my inlaws. It is, in fact, widely joked around the Babbitt household that the Bears tickets were a driving force in my decision to propose to her (and I want to reassure my lovely wife that the tickets were no higher than #3 on a list of reasons why I married her.)

This week when people have found out I'm going to the game I'm met with one of two reactions. Either the person is incredibly jealous, or they say "do you know how much you can get for the tickets???"

Now since these tickets are not in fact mine to sell, the question is purely hypothetical, but it does make you think. What's the price on a chance to see an amazing sports moment? I've never been in attendance at a Chicago championship, but I've been to some pretty good ones. The leader in the clubhouse right now has to be the Bulls' game 6 victory over the Celtics in the playoffs two years ago, highlighted by this play here:



Sam, Will, Altay and I were watching that play from almost the last row of the upper deck behind the basket at the other end of the court, and I can say definitively that the moment was 100 times better in person, and worth well over the $50 we each paid for the tickets. But where does the line stop?

Earlier this week reports were suggesting tickets could go between $2,000-3,000. Now our seats are pretty darn close to being among the best in the house (30 yard line, north end zone, visitors side, 16th row) but when I looked on stubhub earlier this week, equivalent seats were going for 1,300, and checking back today they're down to $900. Still a large amount, I know, but it should still be a no-brainer for any true Bears fan not in dire financial straits.

But what if, in a world where these were my tickets, someone offered me $5,000 for them? $10,000? I don't know where mine falls, or if there even is one. The idea of selling them sickens me just because of the possibility of a "priceless" kind of moment, which you could never enjoy fully since in the back of your mind you'd always be kicking yourself for having the chance to be at the game and selling out.

Of course it works the other way, too. There's always the possibility the game would be a blowout and then it's basically like you're out the money you could have gotten for the tickets, which would be a huge blow as well. But the first idea scares me more than the second one.

I'm glad this decision is purely hypothetical for the time being. However, in the event that the Cubs (God-willing) make it to the World Series in my lifetime, and are in position to play a clinching game at home...

2 comments:

  1. No doubt a priceless moment. But I'd probably say a million dollars, cash money, just because it has a nice ring. One Million Dollars. Don't know if that's realistic, but that's my number.

    The most expensive ticket on StubHub for the 2011 NFC Championship between the Chicago Bears and Green Packers (just had to say that) is going for $9,500 and the cheapest for just under $3,000. If it's in that range I have to agree with you, T. More scared of missing amazing game than losing out on that money.

    But, don't forget you can use that money to buy tickets to the Super Bowl. Granted, it won't be at Soldier Field and it won't be against the Packers, but at least it'll be warm. Even though dome football isn't exactly real football...

    Try this on for size...
    How much is a World Series Game 7 worth in Chicago worth to you? What if President Obama was going to be there...if it matters to you?

    *cougheventhoughhe'sawhitesoxfancough*

    It would be the same either way for me.

    Priceless

    Okay, need to get out of my head for a bit. Going to get excited for Sunday by watching...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aihxexW80h8&feature=related

    Thank you to all my friends for supplying so many dope videos and insight into Chicago sports. GO BEARS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a firm believer in not selling at all. you cannot put a price on those moments.

    the joakim steal is the only bit of evidence you need. if the bulls had won that series, that play would be known as The Steal.

    what about a Seahawks fan who sold his ticket and cannot claim to have been part of a manmade tremor of Planet Earth?

    the whole point of going to ANY game is that you have no idea what will happen. as they say, that's why you play the game. even when it is against an opponent from outside of your division, like say, the D Rays in the middle of July. because you just might see a perfect game. like i did.

    no selling tickets.

    ReplyDelete